I’ve been so wrapped up with my freelance work and writing my book that I haven’t been updating you guys about the things I’ve been making or the new places I’ve explored! Last night it occurred to me that Valentine’s day is in just a couple of days, yet I haven’t let you in on this super simple DIY that I’ll likely leave up for the rest of February (though I’m not against leaving it up year round.) Luckily, you’ll need less than an hour (not including paint dry time) to crank one of these bad boys out.
Everything for this project I already had at home. You’ll only need a few things and less than an hour, not including paint dry times. If you’re looking to get your feet wet with using power tools, an easy DIY that’ll make you feel competent and confident enough to move onto bigger things.
- jigsaw (Here’s a similar one for cheap)
- staple gun
- clamps x2
- extra large sheet of paper
- Spray paint (I used ballet slippers by Kylon)
- a little rope
- Fold an extra large sheet of paper and cut a heart, kindy-garten style.
- Use the cut heart as a template to trace upon the plywood.
- Clamp the plywood tightly onto a worktable, with the edge you are going to cut hanging off the side. Use the jigsaw to slowly and carefully cut around the tracing. Readjust clamping as necessary until you have fully cut out heart.
- Apply a coat of paint to the heart. If you like the full coverage look, add a second coat. I live in a beach town and I thought the slightly tinted color would add a beachy vibe, so I stuck with that.Optional: unnecessary fresh flowers in the shot. Am I doing this right? hashtagbloggerthings
- Cut a small piece of rope to use as a hanger, then staple onto the back. Make sure to staple each component of the rope, or it’ll soon fall apart.
- Use a wreath hanger like this one to hang it on your door.
Like this project? Check out Amazon for some of the tools used:
3 thoughts on “How to make a DIY Valentine’s Day front door decoration”
This is so cute! Great idea!
Love this!!! So simple and so pretty. You could keep this up all year round!